Here are some amazing facts that will make you more proud to be an Indian.
Read on ...
- India invented the Number System. Zero was invented by Aryabhatta.
India never invaded any country in her last 10000 years of history.
- Sanskrit is the mother of all the European languages. Sanskrit is the
most suitable language for computer software, according to a report in
Forbes magazine, July 1987.
- The World's first university was established in Takshila in 700BC. More
than 10,500 students from all over the world studied more than 60 subjects
there. The University of Nalanda built in the 4th century BC was one of the
greatest achievements of ancient India in the field of education.
- Ayurveda is the earliest school of medicine known to humans. Charaka,
the father of medicine consolidated Ayurveda 2500 years ago. Today Ayurveda
is fast regaining its rightful place in our civilization.India was the
richest country on earth until the British invaded in the early 17th
Century. Christopher Columbus was attracted by India's wealth.
- Bhaskaracharya calculated the time taken by the earth to orbit the sun
hundreds of years before the astronomer Smart. Time taken by earth to orbit
the sun in the 5th century - 365.258756484 days. The art of navigation was
born in the river Sindh 6000 years ago. The very word Navigation is derived
from the Sanskrit word NAVGATIH. The word navy is also derived from Sanskrit
- The value of "pi" was first calculated by Budhayana, and he explained
the concept of what is known as the Pythagorean Theorem. He discovered this
in the 6th century long before the European mathematicians. According to the
Gemological Institute of America, up until 1896, India was the only source
for diamonds to the world.
- Algebra, trigonometry and calculus came from India. Quadratic equations
were by Sridharacharya in the 11th century. The largest numbers the Greeks
and the Romans used were 106 whereas Hindus used numbers as big as 10**53(10
to the power of 53) with specific names as early as 5000 BCE during the
Vedic period. Even today, the largest used number is Tera 10**12(10 to the
power of 12).
- Usage of anesthesia was well known in ancient India medicine. Detailed
knowledge of anatomy, embryology, digestion, metabolism, physiology,
etiology, genetics and immunity is also found in many ancient Indian texts.
- USA based IEEE has proved what has been a century old suspicion in the
world scientific community, that the pioneer of wireless communication was
Prof. Jagdeesh Bose and not Marconi.
- Sushruta is the father of surgery. 2600 years ago he and health
scientists of his time conducted complicated surgeries like cesareans,
cataract, artificial limbs, fractures, urinary stones and even plastic
surgery and brain surgery. Usage of anesthesia was well known in ancient
India. Over 125 surgical equipment were used. Deep knowledge of anatomy,
physiology, etiology, embryology, digestion, metabolism, genetics and
immunity is also found in many texts.
- The earliest reservoir and dam for irrigation was built in Saurashtra.
- Chess (Shataranja or AshtaPada) was invented in India. When many
cultures were only nomadic forest dwellers over 5000 years ago, Indians
established Harappan culture in Sindh Valley, known as the Indus Valley
- The place value system, the decimal system was developed in India in
100 BC. Spiritual science, Yoga and most of the religions were found in
India and the teachings spread all over the world by Indian Mystics and the
- The World's First Granite Temple is the Brihadeswara temple at Tanjavur
in Tamil Nadu. The shikhara is made from a single ' 80-tonne ' piece of
granite. Also, this magnificient temple was built in just five years,
(between 1004 AD and 1009 AD) during the reign of Rajaraja Chola
- India is.......the Largest democracy in the world, the 6th largest
country in the world AND one of the most ancient and living civilizations
(at least 10, 000 years old).
Gyandev. It was originally called 'Mokshapat.' The ladders in the game
represented virtues and the snakes indicated vices. The game was played with
cowrie shells and dices. Later through time, the game underwent several
modifications but the meaning is the same i.e good deeds take us to heaven
and evil to a cycle of re-births.