The Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act, 2007 defines 'Senior Citizen' as a person who has attained the age of 60 years or above.
- The Act provides for claim for maintenance allowance; geriatric and health care; shelter and protection of life and property.
- The Act comes into force upon notification by individual State Governments.
- 22 States and all Union Territories have notified the Act so far.
- The Act is not applicable to the State of Jammu & Kashmir.
- The remaining 5 States have already been requested to notify the Act.
This information was given by Shri. D. Napoleon, the Minister of State for Social Justice & Empowerment, in a written reply to a question in the Lok Sabha.