- Indus valley (secular/textile)
- Jain philosophy- world is created by
- Vedic civilization-meaning of dharma and rita
- Reasons for cultural contacts between southeast asia and bay of bengal
Modern post 1857
- Nehru report recommendations
- Usha mehta-role indian freedom struggle
- Home charges in drain of wealth.
- Kheda satyagraha, why
- Land settlement system of lord cornwallis
- Quit india movment- false statement
- Weddernburn and caine committee 1893
- Gandhi-book unto this last
- metropolitan planning committee
- 73rd amendment provides for-statements
- vote on account and interim budget-difference between them
- union budget is not pass it by the lok sabha when
- the functions of finance commission of india.
- consolidated fund of india-withdrawing money
- revenue of union government goes into each account
- fundamental duty-which of the following is not
- Lower Gangetic climate good for which crops
- Name of state producing lot cash crops, central part producing cotton.
- Salinization in irrigation
- State with good climate for orchid cultivation
- La nina is different from a el nino
- Westerlies in southern hemisphere are stronger. Why
- Jetcraft flies easily in lower stratosphere why?
- Brahmaputra makes u turn because
- African and eurasian desert belt, why formed?
- Malacca strait-reducing travel time to east asia.
- Animal living in sandy and saline area in india
- Algal blooms in seawater
- Carbon cycle, which adds co2
- Biodiversity forms the basis for human existence by
- Coal combustion at thermal plants, pollutants emitted
- Ozone hole in antarctica why
- Microbial fuel cells-statements
- Bioasphalt important because
- Mangroves in tsunami
- Red data book for endangered species
- Carbon credits-false statement.
- Why western ghats and indo-burma regions are hot spots of biodiversity
- Why carbon dioxide does not remain in lower atmosphere
- Marine upwelling zones are important for ecosystem productivity because
- Why tropical rainforest does not regenerate quickly
- Himalayan range is rich in species diversity because
- Central acts, having relevance with biodiversity conservation
- Two rivers of jharkhant and odisha merging and forming biodiversity area at
- Site for in-situ method of conservation of flora
- Biodiversity between lower and higher latitudes
Pteridophytes: india has about 1200 species under 204 genera. While species of marsilea, azolla and salvinia grow in aquatic habitats, those of acrostichum occur in mangrove ecosystems.
Science and technology
- blu-ray disc is different from dvd
- bluetooth and wi-fi device -difference
- virtual private network
- lake frozen on top but bottom is liquid
- cfl and led lamps-difference between them
- artificial satellite does not fall down because
- asteroids and comets-difference between them
- geostationary satellite meaning
- ionosphere facilitates radio-communication because
- brent crude oil meaning
- heavy water in nuclear reactor-its function
- antioxidants and fruit
- aspartame artificial sweetener
- blood groups
- trans fats advertisement
- bt-brinjal advantage
- dna sequencing will help us in
- tree dies when bark is removed because
- Gdp and per capita income increased during last 5 years or not
- Credit to agriculture and allied activities by various institutes
- Economic growth is coupled with
- Lowering of bank rate leads to
- Value added tax. False statement
- Closed economy, meaning
- Class struggle process in karl marx's theory
- Fdi and fii difference between
- High food inflation because
- Fiscal stimulus.
- Current account deficit, how to reduce
- Economically-foreign visitors in common wealth games amounts to
- Teaser loans by commercial banks
- Base effect's role in inflation
- Why disinvestment in public sector enterprises
- Mega food parks- why
- Imf gives loans to which nations.
Social economical development, rights issue, empowerment etc
- Human rights given under universal declaration of human rights
- Tribal insurrection in 19th-century
- National minority-advantages given
- Physically disabled people-benefits available under the law
- Inclusive growth can be furthered by
- Aam admi bima yojana
- Micro-finance includes which facilities
- Who is eligible for mnrega
- Demographic dividend meaning
Current international affairs
- Look east policy means
- New start
- Australia group, and wassenaar arrangement
- South-east Asia has got attention of global community because
Public policy or yearbook stuff
Person in news, sports and awards
% wise breakup-Pie Chart of 2010 civil service prelims General studies exam
Persons in news
On the first hand, during the exam most of us found the 2010's prelim GS paper very 'tough', but after doing the breakup and analysis myself, I find that this paper looked 'tough' only because we are following a study-pattern based on previous years' trends (like cramming the Constitution article numbers, history, geography-location, current affairs, sports etc.). This prelim General Studies paper is both a trend breaker and a trend setter (for upcoming CSAT), just like the Mains GS paper of 2009.
Now it's more about understanding than just blind cramming.
( These are my personal conclusions and I'm not inviting anyone to debate it ;-) )
I'm talking about 'cost benefit ratio': how much energy should you give to a topic or a book to gain each mark.
No meaning of mugging up all those article numbers, this time it was common sense questions.
But you must have a thorough understanding of how Constitution works.
Safe to skip entire book (4 marks worth stuff, no meaning of doing Ph.D on that 1000 page book, like we had to do 4 years back when they used to ask 20+ marks worth questions from it.)
Ancient and medival history
Safe to skip ancient and medival (No meaning of mugging up 1 million names,dates and events for 4 marks when you can pump all energy for other easy to understand things.)
Five Year Plans
No meaning of mugging up all data for 2 marks.
1. Most stuff was from UN and its agencies since they've direct relevance to poverty,Development and climate change. And wasn't from the 'cramming part' like WHO was established in ***** year and its headquater is @ xyz place
2. Bilateral visits, international summits ignored. (magz put lot emphasis on this)
No point in cramming all those chemical formulas, periodical table, and numbers like 1 joule=how much kilowatt etc.
No cramming of all those planets, PSLV date-line etc stuff.
LIKE tonnes of film and social service awards, 500 sports events, national 'summits' and all those things on which the magazines put too much emphasis but who have no practical relevant to human life and problems of this world on macro scale.
UPSC is telling you that general studies have to have relevance with day to day life.
Its more important to understand a topic than a blind cramming
1. GS becomes more relevant to practical problems of India, economy, and environment.
2. Agriculture, environment and economy gains prominence like never before
3. Very dangerous to neglect economy. And this 'New' economy is not about numbers but understanding. Few years back, Economy was only worth 5 marks, this time its 17+ But interestingly, it wasn't really a rocket science or Ph.D stuff, if you put some energy, almost all questions were easy to solve.
4. Disease (HIV, Swine Flu, hepatitis, malaria) is important
5. Geography – jungle, environment, and wildlife related. (not all those 'famous places cramming')